At the beginning of the decade, the Grand Theatre of Varieties was built on St John’s Hill opposite Clapham Junction
In 1990, municipal buildings formally become known as Battersea Town Hall. The railway unions meetings in the Grand Hall were led by Richard Bell who was MP and leader of the TUC. He marked the radical politics of the time. In 1901 Robert Hope Jones built and installed a pipe organ in the Grand Hall at Battersea Town Hall. On 17th December 1909, the Women’s Social and Political Union (the ‘Suffragettes’) hired the Lower Hall for meetings.
The same year, the Great Fire at Clapham Junction claimed eight lives, including that of George Neighbour.
Plays were staged at Battersea Town Hall in order to raise money for Bolingbroke Hospital.
In 1913 John Richard Archer, originally of Liverpool, was elected as Britain’s first black councillor at Battersea and John Burns joined the Liberal Government Cabinet as a minister.